Messenger Bot Set up Checklist
A Step-by-Step ManyChat Tutorial
To build a Messenger Bot, you’ll need:
- A Facebook Account
- A Facebook Page (Messenger Bots can only “live” on a Facebook Page. Not on a Personal profile or Group)
- A mobile device (phone or tablet)
- A laptop or desktop with internet access
How to Create a ManyChat Account
Go to ManyChat and click on “Get Started Free” button
*You’ll need to “Sign in With Facebook” and give ManyChat permission to manage your Page’s message.
“Connect” your Facebook page.
You should now be logged in to ManyChat and see the dashboard.
How to Setup the Greeting & Welcome Message
The Greeting Text is used to describe your business or to let visitors know how your Messenger Bot can help them!
If you don’t set up a greeting text, the page description will be shown on the welcome screen.
How to Setup a Greeting for new conversations
Click on Settings on the side menu.
- Enter in your “Greeting Text”
- Click the “Save” button
Note: You are limited to 160 characters for the greeting text
How to View Your Greeting
On your mobile device, use your browser to login to ManyChat (https://manychat.com)
Click on the link right under your account ID. It should start with https://m.me/
This should open Messenger on your mobile device where you can see your Bot’s welcome screen along with your custom greeting.
- Messenger can cache your greeting. If you made changes, you might not see the updated greeting right away.
- The Greeting Text only shows up the first time the user interacts with the Page on Messenger
- You can see the greeting text only on mobile devices. Not on desktop or the web version of Messenger.
How to Setup a Default Reply:
A Messenger Bot can’t answer ALL the questions since a basic bot, built without any NLP (Natural Language Processing) doesn’t understand the sentence.
This means that you’ll still need to monitor the chat and reply to messages whenever a user submits a question that isn’t commonly asked.
So, if someone types in a word or question that the Bot does NOT understand, your Messenger Bot will reply with a default reply.
To change the Default Reply:
Click on Automation on the left side menu. Then click on Default Reply.
By default, the message says “Page Name typically replies in 1 day. If you want to ask something just press the Take to human” button “.
To change this message, click on the “Edit Message” button at the top right.
Edit the text. For example, you can change it to say “Hmmm. I’m not sure I understand.
Did you want to talk to a human?”
Click “Publish” in the top right-hand corner.
How to Setup Keywords:
If a user enters a specific keyword, it’ll trigger the bot to reply with a predefined message.
You can set up keywords for:
Any commonly asked questions for your business (e.g. are you open today?)
Single keywords such as “help”, “human”, “hello”
- In the left side menu, click on “Automation” then on “Keywords”
- By default, ManyChat has 2 keywords already set up for you: 1) “start or subscribe” and 2) “stop or unsubscribe”
- To create your keyword automation, click on the “New Rule” button in the top right-hand corner
Type in “hello” and click on the “Create Keyword” button.
Click on “Create New Reply…to create a new automated reply to the message “hello”
Click on the image icon and the text icon.
Change the order (if you want), upload your image and type in a message.
Once you’re done click on the “publish” icon up at the top right-hand corner.
How to Create the Main Menu:
Note: ManyChat calls this the Main Menu. Facebook refers to this as the Persistent Menu.
How to add your website URL to the Main Menu
- Under Automation in the left-hand menu, click on “Main Menu”.
- Click on the “+Menu Item” to add an item
- You can add a submenu with more options, trigger the bot to reply with a new message or existing message…but let’s keep things simple and add a link to your website.
- Select the “Open website” option and type in your website URL
- Click Done.
Click on the text “Menu Item” and replace it with “Visit my site”.
Click on the blue “Publish” button.
*There you have it. Your very own step-by-step Messenger Bot set up Checklist.